The Amazon Echo Dot, equipped with the voice assistant Alexa, has become a popular smart home device. While Alexa is the default wake word to activate the Echo Dot, many users are unaware that they can change Alexa’s name to something else. This comprehensive guide will walk you through changing Alexa’s name on your Echo Dot, allowing you to personalize your device and make it even more responsive to your commands.
What is the Echo Dot?
The Echo Dot is a compact, voice-controlled smart speaker developed by Amazon. It is part of the Amazon Echo lineup, offering a range of features powered by the Alexa voice assistant. With the Echo Dot, users can enjoy hands-free control of their smart home devices, access information, play music, set timers, and much more. And by the way, Alexa is different from Echo.
What is the Alexa App?
The Alexa App is a companion application available for smartphones and tablets that serves as the control center for your Amazon Echo devices, including the Echo Dot. It acts as the interface between you and Alexa, allowing you to manage and customize various settings, skills, and features. You’ll need access to the Alexa App to change Alexa’s name on your Echo Dot or any other Alexa-enabled device. If you don’t have your smartphone handy, look at the Alexa App for PC.
How to Change Alexa’s Name on Echo Dot, Step-by-Step
Follow these simple steps to change Alexa’s name on your Echo Dot:
- Launch the Alexa App: Open the Alexa app on your smartphone or tablet. Ensure you are connected to the same Wi-Fi network as your Echo Dot.
- Access Settings: Tap on the “Devices” icon at the app’s bottom right corner. Then, select your Echo Dot from the list of devices. Once selected, click the “gear” icon on the top right of the screen to look at settings.
- Choose Device Settings: On your Echo Dot’s settings page, scroll down and tap on “Wake Word.” <
- Select a New Wake Word: You will see a list of available wake word options. Choose the wake word you prefer from the list. You can select from popular options like “Computer,” “Amazon,” or “Echo.” Tap on your preferred wake word to confirm your selection.
- Wait for Confirmation: The app will display a confirmation message after selecting the new wake word. The Echo Dot will also provide an audio confirmation, indicating that the wake word has been changed successfully.
Congratulations! You have successfully changed Alexa’s name on your Echo Dot. From now on, you can use the new wake word to interact with your device.
Frequently Asked Questions
What is a “wake word”?
Wake word is the phrase you use to let your Echo Dot know that you are talking to it. By default, this is set to “Alexa.”
Can I choose any word as Alexa’s name?
While Amazon offers a selection of pre-approved wake words, you are limited to the options provided in the Alexa app. These options ensure compatibility and accuracy in recognizing your commands.
Can I change Alexa’s name to my name?
Currently, Amazon only allows users to select from the available wake word options within the Alexa app.
Can I change Alexa’s name on one Echo Dot and keep the default name on another device?
You can change the wake word individually for each Echo Dot or Amazon Echo device in your home. This allows you to personalize the wake word for specific devices while keeping others with the default wake word, “Alexa.”
What wake words can I use?
Currently, you can use:
- Hey Santa
With the Amazon Echo Dot, you can customize your device further by changing Alexa’s name. Following the step-by-step guide, you can easily change the wake word and make Alexa respond to a different name. Personalize your Echo Dot experience and enjoy seamless voice control with a wake word that suits your preferences. Find more info from Amazon.
Check out the Alexa Archive to learn more about your Echo Dot.