Diving into the world of smart home lighting? You may already be familiar with smart bulbs, but did you know there’s another illuminating alternative? Yes, we’re talking about smart light tubes. Much like their bulb counterparts, smart light tubes can help make your home more energy-efficient and add a unique touch to your decor, all while integrating seamlessly with your smart home setup. But what are they, exactly? How do they differ from bulbs? Let’s illuminate the topic further.
What are Smart Light Tubes?
Imagine a traditional fluorescent tube you’ve seen in offices or garages. Now, think of that same tube but with advanced technology that lets you control its brightness, color, and even schedule when it turns on or off, all from an app on your smartphone or a voice command to your smart home assistant. That’s a smart light tube for you.
These futuristic lights retain the long, tubular form of conventional fluorescent tubes but come packed with LED technology, making them more energy-efficient and long-lasting. They offer a broader spread of light compared to bulbs, making them ideal for larger spaces or creating different lighting effects.
Regarding smart light tubes, here are a few standout options out currently, although none are genuinely “smart tubes” in the sense that you can drop on into a tube socket directly.
Smart Light Tubes vs. Bulbs: The Key Differences
At a glance, smart light tubes and bulbs may serve the same purpose: lighting up your space. However, they differ in several critical aspects. Here’s a quick rundown:
- Form and Size: Unlike the standard bulb shape, smart light tubes are elongated and come in various lengths, typically between 2 and 8 feet. Their size and shape allow them to spread light over a larger area.
- Light Distribution: Smart light tubes disperse light more evenly, eliminating harsh shadows and hotspots often caused by bulbs. This makes them a top pick for ambient or general lighting.
- Installation: Smart light tubes require specific fixtures for installation, different from the regular bulb sockets. While this might mean an additional initial setup, the aesthetic and lighting payoff can make it worthwhile.
Top Brands and Examples of Smart Light Tubes
The smart lighting market is teeming with brands offering innovative products.
- Philips Hue: A leading name in the smart lighting industry, Philips Hue offers light tubes that can reproduce 16 million colors and integrate with popular smart home platforms.
- LIFX: LIFX’s smart light tubes, known as beams, can display multiple colors at once for a vibrant, dynamic lighting effect.
- Nanoleaf: Known for its modular light panels, Nanoleaf also offers light bars that function similarly to smart light tubes, providing customizable colors and patterns.
*We earn a small percentage back by clicking the links throughout this page to purchase from Amazon. Thanks for your support!
Frequently Asked Questions
Do they make smart tube lights?
Some do, but it may differ from what you’re looking for. Many brands manufacture smart tube lights, offering a range of features from color changing to integration with your smart home ecosystem.
Are there smart tube bulbs?
The term “smart tube bulb” can be misleading. What’s available are smart light tubes, which are not bulbs but long, tubular LEDs. They offer similar smart features to bulbs, such as remote control, dimming, and color changing.
Can smart light tubes be used outdoors?
Most smart light tubes are designed for indoor use. However, some brands offer weather-resistant models for outdoor use. Always check the product specifications to ensure suitability.
How energy-efficient are smart light tubes?
Smart light tubes use LED technology, which is significantly more energy-efficient than traditional lighting. Smart features like scheduling can help optimize usage, saving even more energy.
Smart light tubes are a unique and versatile addition to smart lighting. They’re more than just a decorative element; they offer convenience, efficiency, and a high degree of customization. Whether you’re looking to outfit your home office, kitchen, or backyard, there’s likely a smart light tube out there to meet your needs. Remember, the brilliance of smart lighting doesn’t end at bulbs.
Explore the world of smart lighting and home automation further in the Alexa Archives, where you’ll find more tips and tricks.